Sunday, February 04, 2007

I'm an East Coast gal

So, I am here. It was a long journey, but I made it. Yesterday I flew into Dulles Int'l Airport. That was a flight. Left Spokane, 2 hour + flight to Vegas, then had about one and half hour layover. I lost $20 on the slot machines. I had fun, so who cares, right? Then a 5 hour flight to DC from there. Got into town late last night. About 11:30 my (new) time. Took a shuttle bus to my hotel, couldn't sleep until about 4 am. Yuck. Then woke up at 8am, tried to sleep in till 9, then got up and got ready to go.

Called for a taxi. It was gonna be $74 to get a ride to the Greyhound station, for the second set of my journey. Yeah, like I have $75. So, I finally called around and found one for $55. It was right on the nose too. Total was $55.65 (after $2 baggae fee for excess baggage). He was great though, showed me the sites and pointed out what they were. Even gave me the low-down on what part of town to stay away from. He said if you find yourself in Southeast, turn around immediately, and get out. Too many innocent people get shot. He said thats were the mofia are. Scary, I know. The rest, all the other parts of town, he said were good. As long as I stay out of SE mom, I won't get shot. I hope! :)

Managed to get to Greyhound, the bus ride was semi-non-eventful. The only funny thing was when we reached the top of a hill, I saw a sign that read " Braddock Mountain, elev. 985 ft" Ha. You call that a mountain? That's the distance up my parents driveway. Okay, I am exaggerating a little (okay, a lot), but you get my point. Next hill was elev 1200 ft. A bit better, but not a mountain.

There was a McD's right by the station, but I didn't eat there, because I had too much luggage, and I was afraid of leaving it be while I standed in line. A lot of people were very helpful. While I was calling 411 for a taxi company, this lady handed me a phonebook. I called three cab companies before someone finally picked up. The gentlemen was very pleasant. The great thing was...cab ride only $5 even. There was no meter, I think anywhere in Hagerstown is $5. I might have to keep him in mind for later. He even helped carry my bags to my front door. Which brings me to my new furnished apt.

Certainly not an apt I would rent for myself. Then the furniture...well, think Grandma and you might have a good idea of what it looks like. However, the dresser, nightstand, and armoire are Stanley furniture. Very nice. I didn't know we made furniture, but ok. The bed...well, we will have to see. Some walls have a mint green paint on them. Nice touch, I like it. However, there is a smell. I can't pinpoint what it is, but it does smell. My guess I will get used to it. I don't want to, but I will.

I went ahead and unpacked what I brought. Deosn't seem like much, but it will do until my packages get here. I can't wait for them. At least I will have a few more things to make it feel like home. Oh, and I don't have a DVD player like they said, I have a VCR. Which is cool, I can record my shows, but how will Ibe able to watch all my DVD's that I brought along. Oh well, I will be too busy to watch tv. Yeah right. It's me were talking about.

Well, I am off to get some groceries, and explore my new city a bit. Not too many things terribly close, but I will get my exercise in.

6 comments:

Jeffrey said...

So glad you made it.... sorry about the cold weather ....

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're there. Isn't it crazy that just a few weeks ago it was just something you were thinking about? Now you're there and getting unpacked. That's awesome. =) Can't wait to hear how the first day of work goes!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making it to your new home. Sorry to hear it's not what you expected. Sounds like they embellished on the website a bit, huh? Looking forward to hearing all about your new adventure. have fun and stay safe. Love, sis!

Brandi said...

yay you are now a snobby east coast person! Buy a portable dvd player, most connect to tvs and you can use it in your travels. Also febreeze is awesome and gets rid of old lady smell!

have fun!

Anonymous said...

Brandi has some good ideas. Congrats on getting through the big move!

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it. Take lots of pics on of the cool places you go!