Thursday, March 26, 2009

Jury Duty

I was summoned for jury duty this week. I happened to be in group number 26, and groups 1-25 were called for Monday. It was a good thing I wasn't called because I had a much needed class to attend. So, I was called in o n Tuesday. There were 2 big cases that would be needing jurors. It was a lot of watiing but it wasn't bad.
In MD, they have a set of questions they ask everyone. If you have a yes response, then the judge pulls you up to the bench one-at-a-time to ask you further questions. This is good for privcacy and allows the judge a chance to see if you need to be excused from the particular case or not. Well, when you have 100+ people answering questions, this can be a long tedious process. I didn't have any yes answers, so I just had to sit there and be patient. Once we were done with that process, we were excused for lunch and told the jury selection would take plaace after lunch. Only thing is, we were the second round of people. The first round was on Monday, and those who still qualified were told to come back Tuesday after lunch.
I wasn't picked as a juror, my number never got called. It went in order and was #129. Of course, not 128 people were in front of me, several got excused before lunch. But, there were at least 50 or so in fornt of me. So, by the time it even got close to my number, they had picked the 12 and the 4 alts were picked too. Then they just excused the rest of us. It wasn't a full day, but I was there 8:30 am-2pm with a 45 minute lunch. Not too bad, I guess.
Good thing was, it was my only day to work, so I don't have to go back until Saturday now. Woohoo!!
I kind of wanted to be on the jury though. It seems like such a neat process. Something different than my everyday stuff. This would have been a 7 day trial for a murder. I guess I will just have to stick to Court TV and Homicide Files. All very intersting stuff.

No comments: