Thursday, December 06, 2007

I have a job!!!

So, I had been thinking hard about what to do next. I wasn't sure I wanted to take another travel assignment, or work as an agency nurse, or become staff somewhere. For weeks nothing sounded like a good job for me. Of course I would have done another travel assignment if I hadn't found something that I really wanted to do.
I have been feeling like I want a change, but I couldn't decide exactly what that was, until this idea came into my mind. I thought about going on to get my bachelor's degree, but I don't think I am ready to commit to school just yet. I thought about getting a certification in Critical Care. I am pursuing that, but it didn't fulfill that want for change.
So a couple weeks ago, I was checking out the local community hospital. This hospital is about 1 block from our new home. I decided to check out the ER job openings. I had been thinking of getting back to the ER lately, so I thought I might apply to this hospital for an ER position. There are several positions open, most of them night shifts. Well, I got a call later that same afternoon for an interview. I was totally excited. I finally felt like I was getting the change that I wanted. So, even if I didn't get this job, I at least knew what change I wanted to make.
Well, I went in for the interview the next week. Met with the HR lady, then met with the administrator of ER. The manager of ER was at a conference, so I met with his boss. They offered me a chance to come shadow a nurse in the ER to find out if this is exactly what I wanted to do. I had worked in the ER before becoming a nurse, but it had been years. All through nursing school I thought I would work in the ER, but sometime during school, I changed to wanting to do Critical Care. Basically knowing it would be a great background, and a great base of knowledge. But, now I am ready to go back.
Yesterday was my shadow day. I arrived at 1pm, and it was very busy. Which is good, because they wanted me to see it "hopping" to know if it is something I feel that I can handle. I had a great day. The nurse I followed was great. She had been a nurse for the same length of time as I, and this was the only place she had worked. Over the last couple weeks when I have been talking about this hospital, I have heard nothing but great things. I knew it would be a good place to work. I personally don't think I needed the shadow, but they like all interviewees to check it out to know for sure.
I met with the manager about half way through, he gave me his spiel, and then told me we would meet again when I was done. I could stay as long as I wanted. I chose to stay 4 hours. Afterward, I went to his office to thank him for allowing me to spend a day in his ER. He asked if it was something that I wanted to do. I said yes, and he said "welcome aboard"
I have a job!!! Woohoo! I feel really good about becoming staff. I don't mind traveling, but since we are staying in Baltimore for a few years...I feel I want to take roots at someplace great. Now, when we decide to move back to the Pacific Northwest, I will have Critical Care and ER nursing under my belt. Looks really good on the resume!!
I start Jan 7 with orientation!! They only do orientation once a month, and all new employees are required to start with hospital orientation before starting on the floor. Good, because it doesn't interrupt my going home next week for Christmas!!
I am so excited!!!

3 comments:

Lacey said...

Congrats! That is so great!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job! It sounds like it's going to be perfect for you.

Natalie said...

Congratulations!!! That's great. I am sure whichever hospital you are working at is great. I haven't heard a bad thing about any hospital in the Baltimore area. Good Luck...Merry Christmas and have fun at home!