Tuesday, July 12, 2005

I'm (not) full of gas

So, you may be able to guess with the title....

I ran out of gas today.

I know, I am sad. Mara even reminded me to get gas. I forgot. When my tank beeps low fuel, it means I can go at least another 50-60 miles. So, I checked it was at 300 miles when it first beeped with Mara. I told her nothing to worry about....we got plenty left...
Then, I forgot about it. She left Sunday night, and I ran some errands Monday afternoon. I went here, and there, and just about everywhere.

But, right before I got to everywhere....I piddled, and I sputtered. Then, I stopped!

I was out and about, ready to turn onto the highway. As I was waiting for my turn at the on ramp, I was glancing at my tank, thinking I REALLY need to get gas. I checked my mileage...370. I had already pushed past the 50 or 60 miles, and gone 70 miles.

Well, I was already on the on-ramp, couldn't turn around, so I figure, I will take the next exit and get some gas before I continue on my merry way.
I get just to the top, ready to start accelerating and I hear it...it sputters, and slows. I quickly signal to get off to the right, and pull over.

It is official. I ran out of gas. So, I call my sister.....no answer. She works near where I was, and it was right about the time for her to go home, so I figure I will just catch her...nope, she decided to go to the gym today. So, I try my brother-in-law....he is headed home to meet a prospective car buyer...no time to rescue me.

He suggests, I put my car in neutral, and coast back down the on ramp (luckily it was an incline). So, here I am, with my hazzard lights blinking.....I coast backwards down an on-ramp.

I prayed no police were around, cuz I am sure that was not legal.

No cops! Yeah

So, in the mean time, my sister calls me back. Joel, her husband had gotten a hold of her and filled her in. She met me at the bottom of the on ramp to pick me up and take me to the nearest station.

Funny thing about it....there was one right at the bottom of the on-ramp! I know....I could have done that on my own. Oh well...moral support, I guess.

So, we go and get some gas. The attendant lets me borrow the gas can, cuz he doesn't have any for sale. Nice man! I am glad there are a few generous people out there. Of course, he needed a "deposit" to make sure I returned the can.

"It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that we have lost plenty of gas cans over the years, you know?"

I understand, so I hand him my cell phone as a "deposit". I will get it back, upon the safe return of his gas can.

I am thinking to myself, am I ever gonna see that again. I didn't want to hand him my license, and not have it on my way back. My luck, I would have been pulled over after all that. So, I figure my cell phone will be good enough.

So, I took my gas to my car, it started, and I made my way back to the station to return his gas can, get my phone back, fill my tank, and be off.

In the end, it was all very funny. I had never actually ran-out-of-gas before. I have learned my lesson. I will refill when my tank hits 1/4 mark from now on. My dad taught me that a long time ago, but do I ever listen...nope!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And you think your father is just full of hot air. Sometimes you just gotta pay attention. He has been around the block a couple times more than you.
Hope Charlie is better. He looked like he was having a good time at the beach! Cute guy? You didn't find out who he was? What was wrong with you?
Will call you tomorrow on Sunday! Love ya Mom