Thursday, October 12, 2006

One last hike for the year

There is this new girl at work. Her name is Heather, and we made instant friends. We decided to head out to the gorge to go hiking. It was a ton of fun.

We hiked Eagle Creek all the way to Tunnel Falls. It is about a 13 mile round trip hike. A ton of fun, we had.

We started out pretty late. We weren't sure if we would make it all the way, but figured we could get out as far as we could. We barely made it all the way before we had to turn back. We started at 2. Figured 3 hours to get out, and 2 hours to get back. That is how long it took. We should have turned around about 1/2 hour before, but we were so close. Didn't want to miss the best part of that hike. We had to hike about 20 mins in the dark, and about 5 mins of pitch black. We started getting a little spooked at the very end, but we made it safe and sound to the car. After that, no problem.

We had a ton of fun. We have a lot in common, and talked about everything. She is just a few years older than I am. I got some ok pictures, nothing really good. But I will still post what I have. She took some good pictures of me.

I actually got to wear my hiking pants I bought this summer. When I bought them, they fit me, although were just a tad tighter than i would have liked for hiking. But not now. They fit me like a dream. They were very comfortable, and exactly what I had in mind when I bought them. I wish I could have gotten more use out of them this year, but I know I will get good use next year. I may even go one more time this year. I can keep going as long as the weather permits really.

So, here are a few pictures of the scenery, and a couple of me and Heather. Over all great day. I am hurting a little bit today in my hips, but nothing like after the marathon. I even got a 3 mile run in yesterday morning, and may try to get another 3 mile run in tonight. :)

Tunnel Falls


Part of the hiking trail. Most was dirt and leaves. There were quite a few areas that were very rocky. It was considered a moderate hike. I didn't think it was terrible. I thought the rocks/rough terrain made it tougher than the steepness. It wasn't bad at all, but it was 12-13 miles roundtrip!


Good photo of Heather.


Good photo of me!


I liked this picture of the creek. We got off the trail to get this photo! It was fun!


Hope you enjoyed these photos. Maybe I will get even one more good hike in this year.

4 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Looks and sounds like it was a fun time. My friends and I are getting ready for our annual weekend backpacking and camping on the Appalachian Trail. There is a group of us that always meets on the first full weekend of November. We've been doing it for almost 20 years now and it's always a blast. Natalie went with me on a different weekend a couple of years ago and she had a great time, too.

P.S. Are those the kind of pants that zip off and become shorts?

Kathleen said...

That sounds like a TON of fun. I should plan something fun like that. I have yet to do anything longer than a day hike, but would love to backpack somewhere, camp, and hike. Spend a whole weekend doing it.
And yes, they are the kind where you can zip off and make shorts! Pretty cool, huh!

Babyfro said...

I will miss OR for the beautiful hikes availiable. I'm sure I can find some in WA they just won't be as lush on this side.

Brandi said...

tell your friend babyfro that washington has gorgeous hikes. I have been hiking in or and washington and wa is FAR superior. I will send you a link to hiking trails if you want:

http://www.hikerbob.com/region.php?region=CC

enjoy!