Wednesday, July 16, 2008

FIRE!!

We have frequent fire drills at work. Kind of like when you were in school. But, at the hospital, you just close all the doors, make sure the hallways are clear, then wait till it stops. Typically if you are in the middle of something, you just carry on with what you are doing.
Well, the other night, I noticed the lights go off. I was in the middle of getting some medication for my patient, I just continued. Well, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the other nurses and some of the firefighters (they were around cuz they just dropped off a pt) were scurrying around, closing all the doors. I thought they were moving a bit quick, and one of the firefighters was carrying a fire extinguisher. Sometimes we like to play things up a bit, so I just thought to myself "Wow, they are really taking this drill seriously".
Turns out, there was a real fire in one of the rooms. I guess the tv started sparking then black smoke started coming out of it. The tv wasn't even on. It wasn't my pt's room, but there was someone in it. Don't worry, they got out safe. The firefighter jumped to the rescue, used the extinguisher, out it out, then grabbed the tv down from the platform it rests on, ran it outside, and threw it on the ground. As he is throwing it he says "I am tired of this place."
There were a couple other FF's out there, had no clue what was going one. It was pretty funny. Of course, the fire alarm alerted the fire station, and about 10 minutes later had a bunch of other ff's here. It was funny. No one was injured, and the smoke was all cleared out within a few hours. We just went on with the night.
It isn't often we get activity like that. Mostly just sniffly noses, broken bones, few heart attacks and strokes. That's about it.

No comments: