Sunday, July 23, 2006

Detour

Had another run this am. It is called the Cascade Run-off 15k, which is about 9.3 miles. Started out this morning feeling pretty good, knowing it was already getting hot, little less humidity than yesterday though. As I look around, all I see are very skinny, very fit people prepared to run, and no one has water bottles.
First off...I bring my water to every run, otherwise I will be needing it more than if I hadn't brought it, whether I use it or not. Don't worry, today I used it lots!
Second....I am not fit, and I am not skinny, so I pretty much knew I would be the last one. I was.
This run starts at the Burnside Bridge and runs to the Terwilliger hills, which is pretty much uphill the whole way. I did this run yesterday too.
Feeling like crap after the race started, everyone passing me, only a couple people behind me. Well that changed pretty quickly too.
For the most part, I, and another person (Laurie), were the last ones. I have never held up the back of the pack before, but it was ok. But then, after a while, even the pace car had to keep going because we were too slow. I wasn't going much slower than I typically do, however, I think the roads were only open for so long, so he had to go ahead.
Again, oh well, it was ok. I wasn't gonna win this race, I didn't care how long it took me. Matter of fact, during the first couple miles, I wanted to just turn around and saw "screw it". But, my new found friend encouraged me I could do it, so I kept doing it.
Up the hill was hard and I walked lots. They were putting away the tables of water by the time we were reaching them, and most of the volunteers had already been picked up, or left. So there was on point in the race (just after the 5 mile marker) we thought we were to turn and head down that street, but apparently we weren't. Once we got back down that road, it connected to the road we supposed to run to, and we saw lots of runners. No longer in the back of the pack, but did miss about a mile of the race. Again, we didn't care, we just kept going. At the ned we realized we had made several small detours, and probab;y made up at least half a mile or so, because we would go down a road, and realize that wasn't right, and head back to the race.
Overall, it was an ok run. Pretty run, but bad for course support, and bad for course closure. If it wasn't for the heat, I would probab;y had been able to run faster and without walk breaks.
Oh well, you learn from these things. Now I am take a couple days away from running, let my body recover, and get back to training for the Portland Marathon! Yeah!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to keep going, even without the traffic control!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome you finished, Kathleen! You should be so proud of yourself - you know most of us couldn't do it.

Jeffrey said...

9.3 miles in the heat and humidity is 9.25 miles more than I could have done ... I applaud you.

Jeffrey said...

Did you also take a detour from blogging? I miss your running/softball/photo/hiking/hanging out with Zoe updates and I hope all is well ....