Sunday, August 06, 2006

30k

Marathon training continues.

Today was 30k, which is equal to 18.6 miles. We actually ran 18.8. WOW!

I hurt so bad by the end. We had to walk at some points, but then it hurt so bad to start running again, but we knew we needed to run, or we would be out there forever.

It took us 4:45 as it was. Way too long, but then again, I am a lot slower than I used to, and I am carrying a lot of extra weight I didn't have before!

I have lost about 10 lbs, but That is still way more than I had both times before.

So, just in case any of you haven't kept up, or are new...I am training for the Portland Marathon. I have wanted to do this run since I started running. The first year I decided to run the same marathon Jen (my sister) was running, so we went to Victoria, BC (2002). That was an awesome marathon.

Then, I trained with a friend from nursing school who really wanted to do a spring marathon, so we chose and ran Whidbey Island Marathon (2004). It was beautiful, but boy was it hilly. Lots of hills...up and down and up and down...okay you get the point!

Years in between, and since I have always wanted to, but for one reason or another, never made it. This year...I am training with Portland Fit, a branch of usafit.com and I love it! I have a running partner, her name is Darla. She is the same speed as me, and it just works great. I don't know her outside of running, but she is awesome. She has pushed me a many runs. I am sure I have as well for her.

Occasionally she will run ahead, or I will run ahead, but for the most part...we walk when the other does, and run with the other. It is great to have someone at my speed. I think she may be just a bit faster at times, which is good, because I get pushed a little...which I need at times to get better and faster!

Don't worry Zoe, I haven't forgot about you. Zoe is great too, she helps me get my weekday runs in. She doesn't run with me all the time, but I am grateful for her as well.

Today's run...it was long, hot, and exhausting, but I made it through. Now, I am trying to nap but Charlie won't let me. He wants to play. I don't blame him. I worked lots this week (60 hours). I just hurt all over, and I don't move around very fast. I am just glad I have today and tomorrow off to recover! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rock!

Jeffrey said...

Again, I'm amazed. Glad to know you're sticking to it and that you have people supporting your efforts.

Anonymous said...

Way to go sis! Keep it up. Can't wait to run part of the big one with you!

Tash said...

Hey! No problem about the updates..so if you are going to carry on your bag just make sure that you have no liquids or gels/creams of ANY kind. They will make you check or throw them all away before you are allowed to go in. And on the news I heard that if you get a coffee or any drink after security you still have to have it completely gone before getting on the plane! Good luck with traveling and my advice is get there earlier than usual to allow for any delays!! Have a blast this weekend at Silverwood with Mara!!!! I look forward to the post when you get back!!