Sunday, December 25, 2005

On thin ice!

I forgot to mention one little fun ordeal I had while I was home!!

So, like I had said before, I made it home safely. But, it turns out, not only did I stretch making it home without traction tires/chains... I also made it home on bald tires.

I didn't realize they were bald. And they weren't that bad, just the outer parts...time for a rotation. But, well, I had already rotated them before and the insides were bald too.

Mom said I wasn't leaving to come back home till I bought new tires. So, I had to fork out $250 for new tires.

Man, maintenance is spendy!!

So went to Les Schwab for new tires. Tried Wal*mart, they would have to special order my size...didn't have time for that, I was headed back home the next day.
So, back at LS. They have a reputation for coming and greeting you at your car, working with you, getting a great deal on the tires you want/need, and servicing with a smile.

Not this time.

They were very rude, short, and didn't want to offer prices for different tires. I had to pull everything out of them. I was even speaking with the assistant manager!!
Bad news for Schwabby!

No more tires from them.

The reason I went to them, is because I know a gentleman that works there. Manager of the Fleet services (he doesn't know much about passenger tires-otherwise he would have helped me!), but he sent me to speak with "Andy" at the Kennewick store. He said he would help me out, and get me a good deal.

Andy wasn't so nice. He just said $599 it will be for studded tires (4 of them)...didn't even ask what I wanted, or needed. I wasn't there for studded tires, and certainly not 4 of them.

I asked what it would be for regualr tires...$525. Again, didn't ask if I needed all replaced. Just went on ringing it up, as igf that is what I was gonna get.

Most places will ask what you need, look at your tires, and then give you some choices, with some prices...not Andy. Apparently he was in a hurry.

Well...to make this long story short...I did get 2 tires from Andy, but they are regular tires, not special ones. Still set me back couple hundred, but hey...the price of safety, right??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grrr, that makes me mad just hearing that story. Jerks! Sorry you had to pay through the nose for those two tires!

Tash said...

Glad that you had a good christmas, sorry that you didnt get to spend more time with your family, but at least you got to catch up on some sleep! So how is the Power of 10 treating you?? Hope you are still going strong! What are you exciting New Year's plans??? Whatever you do, I hope you have a great time doing it! Happy New Year Kathleen!!!!