Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Angel of Death

So, I started my job yesterday. I think it is going to be good. I really like everyone that I will be working with...well at least those that I have met. YEsterday was paperwork day, and orinetation. Finished paperwork about 10 am, then headed to the PCU and worked with Sarah. She is really nice. I didn't really do much nursing, mostly just watching and seeing how things are done there.

Today I got to orient in ICU. I will be working days in either the ICU or the PCU. Sweet. I like switching, that way I don't get bored, and it keeps things interesting.

I did however, mess up already. I set my alarm last night, thought I turned it on, but apparently didn't. So this am, I wake up about 5:15, think...great, I have another 15 mins to snooze. So, I doze off, and wake up at 6:31. I am supposed to be at work by 6:30. So, my first day on the floor (still in orientation) and I am calling in late. I just about, actually, I did, bawl. It was horrible, I was so embarrassed. I don't live far, so washed my face, got dressed, brushed my teeth, and I was outta there. I was on the unit ready to work at 6:45. Record time.

Day went well. I had a patient that didn't do well. Due to confidentiality reasons, I can't divulge any more info, but my patient won't make it. I didn't do anything wrong, except bad luck. I was dealt the wrong hand. I haven't gotten the title Angel of Death yet, lets just hope my next patient is alive and well when I get done with them...or I just might become the "Angel of Death".

Basically a title we give to anyone who frequently gets patients who are about to die, or actually do die. I have many patients that have died, just not in a row, or not that frequently. So, here's hoping I don't get another one anytime soon, so that I don't get named appropriately.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I hate that rush you get when you relize that you are late... sigh. I know how embarrassing it is to have to call in! I was late my first day once too... it was terrible!