Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Trip through Amish Country

I just made reservations to stay in Lancaster, PA. It is really close to Amish Country, so I will get to see it up close and personal. I have always admired their way of living, and thought it would be cool to really see them.

I won't be able to take pics of them because they believe that you hold the soul if they are in pictures...something about souls, and not believing in pictures. Ok, so some things I don't agree with, but still. I need to respect their choices.

My trip. I am gonna head up to Gettysburg, Pa. Spend half a day touring that area. Then head up to Lancaster. Stay in a guest room of a working farm. The owners are Mennonites. They have a guest room, named "Pigs Palace" I reserved that room. Yippee. Unfortunately they don't have any real pigs on their farm, but goats and horses, and chickens, and um, maybe cows. I can't remember. I would love to learn how to milk a cow. It just seems cool, and something I have never done before.

Then, I will head up the next day to Philadelphia. Stay one night there, then come home Sunday night. This will all take place March 16-18. Yeah. I am so excited. I have me another trip planned.

Now, I have to decide when to go to DC.

The annual Cherry Blossom Festival is March 31-April 15th. With a parade on Saturday April 14th. It would be cool to go during that time, so I will have to see. I may go once before then, and go again during the festival. I think it will be really pretty, and I head the festival is cool, and they have special exhibits at the museums during that time.

2 comments:

Babyfro said...

You're such a busy little bee. It's great to see you really diving in and making all you can of the experience so far. I'd send some of the not snowy weather we are having your way but I don't think it would do as I told it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds great, I just finished reading a series about amish people. It would be great to see it in person. But yes don't take pictures of the people, very offending. Don't be surprised when you hear them speaking in another language to each other, it is a form of German and Dutch.