Monday, June 26, 2006

Dog Mountain

Went on another hike today. It was very beautiful, and a ton of fun.

It was also VERY HOT!! Temperatures up into the 100's. Yeah! Got to be 102 in some places in Portland. I cannot believe how hot it was.

Dog Mountain is in the Gorge. Near Cascade Locks (about mile 44) on the Washington side. cross over the Bridge of the Gods, and it is about 12 miles from there. Beautiful area. Hard (listed as strenuous in the hiking book) climb. It is 3.7 miles of climbing. About 2900 foot elevation gain. I didn't make it to the top, but it was still very steep. I estimate we made about 3 miles of it. Just couldn't keep going, had to turn around.

I went with my friend, Julie. She is a pharmacist at the hosptial I work at. Apparently, she is an avid hiker, so I am a big novice compared to her. But that was cool, she was ok with that.

Headed out, and after picking her up and driving there, we started hiking at 10:30am. Probably should have started hiking at 8am, but, more lessons learned.

I got some great shots up there. I will share some.

This is the trail we took. Apparently it is the "easier" of the two options. It was hard just the same. Maybe when I am an expert hiker, I will attempt the other side.


This is a beautiful shot of the Gorge. It was a little "muggy" for long distance scenery, but there was blue skies as far as the eye can see, and very sunny. (and HOT, can't forget it was hot!)


Saw one dog on Dog Mtn (it isn't named for that, btw). He was really cute. A Dalmation, having a blast. He allowed me take a shot or two. Here they are. The first he has just the biggest smile, and the other, gave me a "what're you doing?" look.



Another great shot of the view


This is Julie.


This is me...


A cool shot of a wildflower.


On the way back, we stopped at a small museum. There was this train outside, and I liked it, so I got a shot or two of it too.


Another shot of Julie, and I

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pics! Just remember the heat can cause alot of damage. Glad you enjoyed the hike though.
LoL, Mom

Jeffrey said...

Awesome. Thanks for sharing your hike. Do you have to worry about ticks much out there?

Tash said...

Looks like you had a great time! I love the pics!!! I checked to see if there were any openings at Tuality but the one that they did have that I was going to apply for I just re-read the description and it is only for 10 hours every two weeks...and well I can't afford that! Haha! So I will just have to continue looking!!! Hope you have a fantastic week/weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

You're already getting great with that camera! What pretty pictures! And hey, you never emailed me back about a good weekend. =)

Anonymous said...

Nice pics Kathleen. Looks like a fun hike. But HOT. Your cheeks are a bit pink! :)