Monday, June 19, 2006

Oops

I woke up at 5:30 this morning with Charlie. He wanted out, and I didn't want to allow him to be playing on the floor. Just in case he needed to go potty. So I ttok him outside this morning, let him pee, then told him it was still bedtime.

I threw him back on my bed and told him to crawl under the covers. Normallly that works, and he goes back to sleep.

Not today.

Today, he wanted to play.

I had to yell at him to get him to calm down and sleep. That was just not gonna happen.

So here it is, 5:40 now, and my alarm is due to go off at 6 am. All I want is about 15-20 more mins of sleep. That is I asked for.

Finally after about another 5 mins of yelling and making sure he stayed up on my bed, he settled in and I finally got another wink of sleep.

My alarm went off at 6am as scheduled. I have to work at 7am, so I set it so I can press snooze a few times in the morning before I have to get up.

I remember pressing snooze at 6am when it went off.

What I don't remember is...

Shutting it off.

Yeah.

Apparently I shut it off, because I woke up at 7:45 am.

Oops. My shift started at 7am.

I darted out of bed, dashed to the phoned (which was in the living room charging-it can't keep a charge longer than a day now.), and of course 1 missed call. It was work.

I dialed the number asked for the charge nurse, and before she got to the phone..I was bawling.

Sob sob. "I am so sorry Cathy, I slept in. I will be there in 20 minutes"

Sob sob.

Cathy was great. She had a feeling that had happened, no big deal she said. Take a shower, get ready, but don't rush...well rush but don't get in an accident.

Wow. I can't believe it. Of course once I got to work (at 8:15 am) everyone gave me crap about "How nice of you to come to work" and "glad you could make it"

Oh well. They covered for me. I'll take the crap. I just hope I never do that again!

4 comments:

Jeffrey said...

That feeling of pure panic is just the absolute worst, isn't it? You hope you rub your eyes and look at the clock again and it changes. But it doesn't.

P.S. What's this I hear you can't make it to Canal Day? You were supposed to bring the potato salad. It's right here on my list....

Anonymous said...

Its a totally different feeling when you think its your day off, and get the call asking where you are. After the short conversation about "aren't I off today?...no?....oh, okay, I thought I wasn't on until Friday...okay, I'll get ready and get there as soon as I can."

When this happens, you take your time getting ready, and it almost feels like you're doing them a favor by coming in. LOL, I mean it's your day off, for heavens sake;)

Jeffrey said...

It's 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday in Maryland. If you have to work, I hope you're awake in Oregon. :)

Anonymous said...

That is the worst, worst, worst feeling ever! At least you weren't THAT late getting there. =)