Tuesday, June 13, 2006

New Hobby

I have always wanted to learn about photography, and take great pictures.

Well, since seeing Zoe work her magic, and my old ER friend Mike, I am really, seriously looking at buying a good camera to start learning photography.

In order to take classes, you have to have a camera already. Since most of the assignments involve actually taking pictures, then getting them critiqued. I figure, I need a camera.

I am just in the research phase. I have been looking at several sites about what an SLR camera is, and what things are needed. It is gonna be a spendy hobby, but once I get the initial cost out of the way, it is smooth sailing. I will still ahve new lenses to buy (which can cost the price of the camera itself or even more sometimes), but I don't need new lenses to start with.

There are a couple at costco that come with the base camera and one camera comes with one lens, the other comes with two lenses.

I will of course need to continue my research, and find out which camera will be better in the long run, but I have decided I will definetely make this purchase.

I know, all who know me...you ask yourself...

Self, did she ask her mother?

Of course I asked my mother first. Do you think I do anything without asking her opinion first. She thinks this will be exactly what I need. A great hobby, something fun (that I am totally interested in) to do. To get me out of the house. So, to her, this is a great idea. I am sure she is hoping it didn't cost as much as it does...but can't get around that.

If I get good-no guarantees-I may start a little side business in time. I am kind of copying Zoe on that one. She is really good, I may not have that natural talent, but still, something to think about.

2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Are you looking at digital or film?
If you haven't bought yet, check out this site http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

The online department at the newspaper I work for orders equipment through them. They have reasonably priced used digital equipment (right now they have some Canon EOS 10D SLRs for between $500 and $700 .. but just the camera body. Our photo department goes through someone else. On the city/state desk, we just ordered some little Nikon Coolpix for emergencies. They work fine for that, but no changing lenses, etc.

Happy photo taking.
Also... www.flickr.com has neat groups you can join to get your photos critiqued. -- sorry that was so long

Anonymous said...

Just Mom checking in.....
I like the "Charlie" pic too.
You are not EXCITED about this new hobby are you? Couldn't be, not you ! HeHeHe