Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Spring Cleaning

June it was time to renew my lease. I got a letter in the mail at the beginning of May that said my new rate was $797. Rent now, or month-to-month would cost me $956/mo. I just about **it my pants. Sorry for that, but really, it almost happened.

Here I am trying to save every penny. I even broke into my piggy bank, and cashed it in. And I get a letter that say my rent is going up $150/mo. Yeah! I pay $647 now.

See what I mean.

So, I was fuming when I went in to talk to someone. this is rediculous. For one...I can't pay that much for rent, and for two...I can't afford to move. But, I checked out other prices in the area. They are all up about that price.

Stupid. So, even if I did get a slightly better price. I would have to pay another deposit. Another pet deposit, pack up, rent a truck, and move all my stuff. Way too much work for $50/mo savings.

So, I went in and talked to them. I didn't let them know I couldn't move. I was ready to give them hell.

But I am all talk. I say I am gonna get what I want, but when it comes down to it, I can't be mean like that. I just give in. Oh well.

This time however, I talked them down to $765/mo and told them I want my carpets cleaned. They agreed. Easier than I thought. I bet they raise the price in your flyer, knowing you would come to talk it down, that way they have room to move, and it looks better on their part to "help" you out.

Right!

Oh well. So I signed a new lease (another year here), and got my carpets cleaned. Back in May, when all this happened, he wanted to wait until the new lease began, so I agreed to today (June 6) to get them done.

Glad I waited. Charlie did have three bad days in a row since getting him back. They were about 2 or 3 weeks ago, so I am glad he got that out of his system before the carpets got cleaned.

So, now I have freshly cleaned carpets, and a doggie that is being so good. I am so glad I have him back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so expensive . . . glad you talked them down a little though.

Jeffrey said...

I remember those apartment and house rental days. I always felt like I was getting ripped off because I'm a bad negotiator. Just like buying a new car. I knew someone else got the same car cheaper -- with free mats -- and it would just eat at me. Next time, go for new paint.