Saturday, June 10, 2006

Helvetia Half Marathon

Today is the day. I am off to run my first half marathon for this year, and this training season.

IT will be the first time -ever- I don't have a cheering section. The first time....actually, nevermind. I have ran Portland Race for the Roses without a cheering section. My mom and sister were supposed to come, but it was raining, and never managed to get out of bed on time, so I kept looking for them, and waiting, and waiting. Finally got back to my car, called them, and they ditced me. Went to breakfast.

I was so mad. They wanted me to join them, but I was soaked. I had just ran 13.1 miles in the puring rain. Plus, I was mad. Those two do not go together.

So this time. I won't be expecting anyone, maybe it will be easier that way. A little sad no one called to wish me good luck. It's like they all just forgot.

My sister did call me yesterday, but I was on the other line, so I needed to call her back. I tried to call her cell phone about 4 times, and her house phone twice...no answer. So I do not know what she wanted. It COULD have been to wish me good luck, but I don't know that for sure.

Oh well. So I am running the Helvetia Half. Starts in less than one and a half hours. It is a very hilly run, so I am a little nervous about that. I have been running, although, not much in the last few weeks. Haven't done it on purpose, just been missing my runs.

Took almost two weeks off, the last weekend I ran Fri (one hour), Sat (40 mins), and Sun (8 miles), then took the week off again. So it has been since Sunday that I have ran. I am hoping to be ok, but I am nervous.

My goal for this marathon (half) is to finsh. That is always my first goal. Then, if I can, under 3 hours. I know that is slow. But I take in account, the HILLS, and the fact I am very slow still this year. Also, I have told myself, it is ok to walk if I need to. I will be ok with that. The main thing is just to finish.

So , I am off to go run 13.1 miles. The weather seems to be perfect running weather. I am gonna wear my new portland fit shirt. I will post after the race to let you know how it went!!

1 comment:

Tash said...

Good luck!!! I am sure you did fantastic!!! Can't wait to hear how it went!!