Sunday, June 25, 2006

Everything I need to know...I learned today!

Lessons I learned today.

1. Don't leave two dogs home alone with bedding on the floor. Charlie is notorious for chewing things up. Especially when they have batting/filling of some sort in them. When I came home today, I found my floor like this...

Zoe-I owe you a dog bed! I am so sorry that happened. Luke has been a good dog, and Charlie-not so much!

2. If I really want to run the Portland Marathon, I need to get my butt in gear and KEEP running. Today I ran the Beat the BUrnside Bridge Run. It is an 8k and mostly downhill. I did pretty good. Finished in 1 hour, which was my goal. I even had to walk the last 0.25 mile because the sun was blaring, and it was HOT!

3. Never trust that there will be T-shirts available after a race. Especially this race. I remember this happened when I ran it with my sister in 2002. Who knows, it oculd have happened every year since then as well. I don't know. All I know is I didn't get a T-shirt, and I finished before the majority of the people in the race. You see..this is a race where the goal is to guesstimate your time, and start when you want, aiming to finish right before the bridge raises at 9am. I figured 1 hour, with a 3-5 minute "extra" time. Well, once I got off the MAX at the start line...I just felt like starting. It was 7:42 am. I finished at 8:42 am. Maybe 8:43...I looked at my time at the bridge, but the official finish line was just over the top, so maybe an extra minute...but who cares! I finished with my goal, which is way faster than I have ran in a long time. 12 min/mile. I am averaging about 13min/mile lately.

4. Can't go run 5 miles and start uphill, when you havent' ran at all for two weeks. The race starts off with a little uphill. My legs were burning not one minute into running. But, after the downhill started, I got over it, and felt pretty good.

5. Not a lesson, but I am gonna keep running, and see how I feel about continuing. I still really want to run another marathon, but I still really need to get running.

6. Never fry bacon naked. No, I didn't learn this lesson today, nor did I learn it the hard way. I just really wanted to share a great lesson with everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sent this once, hope it goes thru this time.
What a mess your Charlie made ! Maybe he needs a "muzzle" when you are gone so he won't chew up the place. But then, Autumn drags in from outside every stick and piece of garbage she can find. If it goes thru the doggie door it comes into the house.

Jeffrey said...

Holy shit...
I thought Toby our Jack Russell was bad. He's a friggin' saint. I'm going to go find him right now and give him a kiss.

Good luck with your running.

Anonymous said...

Bad Charlie. He's just acting out since he had to share you over the weekend. Boy dogs, I tell you.